Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Leadership and the Social Network

Hello Everyone! Sorry its been so long since I've written. Let me start out by saying thank you for your patience. I am finally starting to feel better - the miracles of modern medicine are greate but not always fast-acting. :) So onto the subject of the day.

How do social networks effect the leaders of today? That is a really good question. At first glance, it would appear that their isn't much of a correlation. However, after I spent sometime thinking about it, this is what I came up with...

First of all, blogs and other social networking tools give leaders and their teams another tool to share ideas and get to know one another. There are so many teams that work virtually now that the face to face communication that happens in the traditional office is slowly becoming extinct. However, the need for that interaction still exists. The use of these tools, if done appropriately, can help to fill the void.

Secondly, and as we discussed in class, social networks are good sources for getting information on current and potential employees. And though that may seem shady at first, it is a leader's responsibility to ensure that the company has integrity. If the employees don't, than how can you ever ensure that the company does. Social networks can give leaders insight into the people that they interact with.

A role of the leader is also to ensure that the company grows. Social networks, specifically business oriented networks, gives the leader the ability to network and grow opportunities for the company, at the same time. And, they can do it for free, which is always beneficial for the company.

I've decided to let my staff know about my blog. I'm not sure that any of them will look at it, but I just believe that they'll have a better understanding of who I am and what is important to me if they read my blog.

At first glance, I thought no way. But now, I think I'm starting to get it. Expect more posts in this space.

No comments: